The #1 Tattoo Gallery on The Web. Chopper Tattoo provides you with the largest selection of Award Winning Tattoo Designs. Search through our site to find thousands of tattoo designs!
-- Recommended Product --
Absolutely Amazing Tattoo facts and Statistics
Make no mistake about it…the tattoo industry is hot property. There are an estimated 20,000+ parlors operating in the United States, according to a U.S. News & World Report article, which said, on the average, an establishment is being added in the country every day. The article ranked tattooing as the sixth fastest growing retail venture of the 1990s, right behind Internet, paging services, bagels, computer and cellular phone service. Temporary tattoos are also making great strides in popularity…especially temporary tattoos for adults and kid’s tattoos.
Emerging from their often unsavory reputation of the recent past, tattoos have gained increasing prominence in the past decade. Life magazine estimated in 1936 that 2% of Americans had tattoos. Harris Polls, done in 2003 and 2008, shows those numbers at an estimated 16% (2003) and 14% (2008) of Americans now have one or more tattoos.
Thirty-six percent of those ages 18 to 25, and 40 percent of those ages 26 to 40, have at least one tattoo, according to a fall 2006 survey by the Pew Research Center.
The National Geographic News stated in April 2000 that 15% of Americans were tattooed (or approximately 40 million people!)
Esquire Magazine estimated in March 2002 that 1 in 8 Americans was tattooed.
The Harris Poll done in 2003 estimated that fully 36% of those aged 25-29 had one or more tattoos. Another Harris Poll done in 2008 showed that same age group had dropped to 32% with one or more tattoos.
According to the American Society of Dermatological Surgery, they stated in 2005, that of all the people they treat with laser and light therapy, only 6% are getting a tattoo removed.
A 2006 a study done by the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology found that 24% of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed; that's almost one in four. And the survey showed that about 36% of Americans age 18 to 29 have at least one tattoo!
Over 50% of kids and adults say they have tried temporary tattoos.
The tattoo industry spawns an amazing amount of internet searches…here are some astounding numbers about tattoos and temporary tattoos:
- Search Engine Lycos ranks the Top 50 search terms every week. "Tattoos" was the third most popular search term in 2002, the fourth most popular search term in 2001, seventh most popular search term for the year 2000, and the eleventh most popular search term in 1999. Temporary tattoos are not far behind.
- "Tattoo, tattoos and temporary tattoos" are among the search terms to never fall out of the Top 50 Search terms in the 199 weeks since Lycos has been keeping track. The other six are Dragon Ball, Pamela Anderson, Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears, Las Vegas and the WWE/WWF.
- In July of 2002 "tattoos and temporary tattoos" reached its highest ranking ever coming in as the number two most requested search term on the internet. "Tattoos" was requested more often than Britney Spears, marijuana or Kazaa, illustrating that skin ink is more popular than "sex, drugs and rock n' roll!"
According to Lycos, tattoos and temporary tattoos rarely drop out of the top ten search terms requested on the Internet and Lycos dropped the term because they wanted to make room for other searches.
Search engine Ask.com found these stats about tattoo searches:
No longer has taboo, the popularity of tattoos and temporary tattoos proves that skin is always in…here is some more data that will surprise you about tattoo searches:
- Back tattoos rank the highest in searches (lower, upper and all over). But, not far behind: necks, arms, wrists and ankles. Unmentionables also rank high.
- Angelina's tattoos rank the highest in the celebrity category. Ask.com searchers are also intrigued by other celebs. Most notably, Nicole Richie, Alyssa Milano and heavy metal rockers Metallica.
Here are some extremely interesting things people have to say about having a tattoos and temporary tattoos:
- Three in Ten Americans with a Tattoo say having one makes them feel sexier.
- Just under half of adults without a Tattoo say they would like to get one in the future.
- Most people with a tattoo say they plan to get more tattoos or purchase more temporary tattoos.
In the past five years, much has been discussed about the stigmas of those with tattoos. But, that does not seem to have much of an impact of the number of people who have them as just 2 percent fewer Americans say they have tattoos. Also, the number who regrets their tattoo has also not really changed in the past five years. But, if the number of the youngest age group continues to shun tattoos, and that continues as younger teens hit 18, there may be a change in those having tattoos in the long run.
Among those under 18, temporary tattoos are loved by all ages.
Tattoos for kids are extremely popular search terms among school age kids.
Temporary tattoos for adults are also searched for in greater numbers than ever before.
~~ oOo ~~