Lower Back Tattoos
LA Ink Tattoo Designs
Your Search For a Perfect Tattoo Design Ends Right Here at LA Ink Tattoo Designs! Get Instant Access To Over 30,000 Designs
-- Recommended Product --
Lower back tattoos can be sexy and stylish when done right, particularly for girls and women. In the late 1990s however, lower back tattoos have been getting so extremely popular amongst cute girly girls that they got a bad name (the tattoos that is!).
Nearly 25% of the American population aged 18 to 50 has a tattoo, out of which almost 20% of the women have a lower back tattoo. It's almost hard to spot a teen without a tribal on the low back these days.
That's why the lower back tattoo is also known as a tramp stamp (amongst other names, see further).
Despite the fact that originality is far to seek, lower back tattoos are in many ways a good choice, especially for female tattoos. This is true for several reasons, here are the pros:
- The lower back offers a lot of space for a tattoo, it has a wide, smooth expanse suitable for tattooing. Even a tiny girl can have a large tattoo on the small of the back. There is room for a great variety of tattoo styles – tribal, Celtic, flower, you name it! The tattoos are often oblong in shape, wider in the centre of the back and following the slope on either side of the woman’s spine. A round tattoo at the base of the spine is a very different look, but can also be very attractive
- Lower back tattoos are in a place on the body that doesn't change much with age or weight fluctuations. As a result, tattoo designs on the lower back hold their shape and colours much longer than those on other places
- Lower back tattoos can easily be hidden by clothing if you need them to be – for example, you may not wish to flash your tattoo at work. The lower back location allows you to have quite a large tattoo that is nevertheless easy to hide
- A lower back tattoo is easy to flash when and where you see fit, regardless of your clothing style. Whenever your shirt is short enough so that it doesn't quite meet the waistline of your pants, there is a potential to flash lower back tattoo designs just by bending over. The popularity of lower back tattoos goes in sync with the popularity of low cut jeans and short tops
- Lower back tattoos are very feminine, sensual and sexy. They are in a place normally covered by clothing, but easily uncovered. The tattoos themselves draw attention to this fact – we are seeing part of a woman’s body that would normally be covered. There’s something tantalizing and slightly forbidden about a tattoo like that
Lower back tattoos also have some disadvantages, here are the cons:
- They are ridiculously unoriginal. If you want a lower back tattoo that's a bit more unique, try positioning it out of the centre, more to the right or left of your spine, like the fish tattoo on this photo
- Some people see the symbol of a lower moral in lower back tattoos
- Pain: the lower back is one of the more painful areas of the body to have a tattoo. The general rule is: the closer to the bone, the more pain
- Expensive: the price depends on the tattoo design of course, but lower back designs are usually quite large and detailed, what makes them time consuming to complete and therefore expensive
- You can only view your tattoo yourself when you look in the mirror
Lower Back Tattoo Designs
Lower back tattoo designs come in a great variety of styles. Here are the most popular:
- Tribal Designs: tribals are without doubt the most wanted tattoo designs for the lower back. Tribal styles lend themselves well to the lower back, most often creating an oblong pattern at the base of the back. Popular are Celtic tribals, the tribal sun, star and abstract tribals inspired by the tattoo styles of Borneo and Polynesia. Tribal tattoos on the lower back are also called tramp stamps!
- Dragon Designs: because of their shape, dragon tattoos are a good choice for the lower back
- Flower Designs: flowers have always been one of the first choices for a feminine tattoo design, also for the lower back. Hibiscus, cherry blossom and daisies are the most popular
- Dolphin Tattoos: dolphins are also a popular for a female tattoo design and they look good on the lower back
- Turtle Tattoos: ideal shape for a lower back tattoo
- Butterfly Tattoos: ideal shape for a lower back tattoo
- Japanese or Chinese character tattoos
Lower back tattoos are very popular and consequently common these days, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding appropriate designs. There are free tattoo designs available for lower back tattoos, just as there are for other types of tattoos. You can search for them online, you can visit a tattoo shop and ask to look through their tattoo flash or you can have a look in our tattoo gallery.
Lower Back Tattoo Tips
- Think before you ink! Research the tattoo you are about to get and if you have the slightest doubt about your design, move on and find another one until you are completely happy about the tattoo you are going to get. Tattoo removal is cumbersome and expensive
- Wear loose pants when getting a lower back tattoo, make it easy for your tattoo artist to do his job
- Wear loose pants during the healing process, prevent rubbing against your fresh tattoo
- Don't get a lower back tattoo because it is in vogue right now or because your friends have one
Due to the extreme popularity of lower back tattoos, they have been called many names:
- Tramp Stamps: some people think that girls with a lower back tattoo are more promiscuous than others. Showing a lower back tattoo in public by wearing a low cut jeans and crop tops attracts attention. If you can't handle the attention, don't go for a low back tattoo or cover it up. Making yourself attractive doesn't give other people the right to make sexual comments though
- Gramp Stamp: in about 40 or 50 years from now, there will be a lot of elderly ladies with a blurb of blue ink on their lower back
- Bullseye Tattoo: this term comes from the movie Wedding Crashers. Vince Vaughn's character sees a girl and says "Lower back tattoo...might as well be a bulls eye"
- California License Plate: lower back tattoos are very popular in California...
- Arschgeweih: German for ass antlers
- Bitch Tat
- Slut Tat
Lower Back Tattoos and Pregnancy
There are some rumours that lower back tattoos can be a risk for expecting mothers. The rumour is that a lower back tattoo can prevent an epidural because there is a risk of infection caused by particles of the tattoo ink. Is this concern true?
The answers to that question vary and opinions are divided. Fact is though that there is no evidence of adverse effects as long as the tattoo is healed. Most doctors share the opinion that a lower back tattoo is not a problem for an epidural.
If you're pregnant and have a lower back tattoo, mention it to your doctor and ask his advice. Also ask him, whether you have a tattoo or not, about the side effects of epidurals and possible health risks for you and your baby.
Celebrities and Lower Back Tattoos
The list of celebrities that have a lower back tattoo is endless, here's a selection:
- Angelina Jolie: she has 3 lower back tattoos: a tribal, a blue window, a Bengal tiger and a dragon. The blue window and the dragon are partly covered by the tiger tattoo
- Brandy: has a lotus flower on her lower back
- Lindsay Lohan: has the words "La Bella Vita" (Italian for The Good Life) on her lower back
- Aaliyah: late R&B star, had a dove tattoo on the small of her back
- David Beckham: one of the few male celebrities with a lower back tattoo. He has the name of his son Brooklyn on his lower back
- Victoria Beckham: she has 5 stars on her lower back, one for each family member
- Britney Spears: has a fairy tattoo on her lower back
- Maria Carey: has a butterfly tattoo on her low back (might be a fake, a temporary tattoo)
- Geri Halliwell: another Spice Girl with a lower back tattoo, here's is one of a black panther
- Norah Jones: jazz singer with a star tattoo on her lower back
- Jordan: this super model has a pink bow on the low back
- Anna Kournikova: celebrity with a large lower back tattoo
- Eva Longoria: has a Celtic cross tattoo on the small of her back
~~ oOo ~~